Someone has written an article titled “3 Ways Guys Can Drop 20 Lbs Quickly.” Whoever wrote it didn’t put their name on a byline (and I can understand why). His/her suggestions are:
- Eat more fat
- Lay in the Sun
- Don’t do any cardio exercise
Am I the only one not buying this? The fact that it’s an ad in disguise for the 4 Minute Abs system gives it even less credibility, if that’s possible — and doesn’t do much for the credibility of the “4 Minute Abs” system either.
I’ve lost over 100 lbs, but I can assure you following this person’s suggestions is how I got more than 100 lbs overweight in the first place. What worked for me was:
- eliminating sugar and simple carbs (mostly lean meats & veggies)
- eating primarily non-saturated fats in moderation (almonds, avocados, salmon, olive/canola oil)
- keeping my calorie count at 1500-2000 day (depending on exercise levels)
- doing 30-60 minutes of vigorous (cardio) exercise per day
- getting additional exercise from yard work, walking (ie. getting a more active lifestyle)
Maybe there is miracle system out there somewhere, but I highly doubt it. My experience is that the only way to weight loss is discipline and hard work. The formula is pretty simple — you have to burn more calories than you consume. You can either lay on the couch and starve yourself, or you can eat like a pig and run a decathlon every day. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle where we have to eat moderate amounts of low carb and low-calorie foods and do a fair amount of regular strenuous exercise.
If anybody has found any secrets that I’m missing, I would love to hear them.